30.4.12

A Coffee Cup Cosy

I had been intending to make one of these for a long time... 

I usually drink coffee at home; however, I find myself, every week or two, at my local coffee vendor, picking up a pound of coffee.  They always offer me a free drink, and who am I to turn down a cup of something warm, aromatic and caffeinated?  I always compost or recycle the paper cups, however, there is the added issue of whether to use the optional cardboard coffee sleeve.  I don't like burning my fingers on a hot cup, but neither do I like creating an extra piece of waste... Hence, my long unfulfilled intention.

So, last week, I got out some size 3 knitting needles and a ball of pretty pink & beige, hand-spun which I picked up here several years ago.  Then I made 2 more coffee cup sleeves as gifts for my brother (he lives in Seattle, which is coffee-house mecca, as far as I'm concerned.)  The ones I knit for my brother were made from Malabrigo Worsted Merino (Black Forest) and Manos Del Uruguay, Wool Classica (Coffee) on size 7 needles.
 My pattern was very basic -- for the thicker yarns, I cast 42 stitches on my size 7 needles, went back and forth in a k2, p2 ribbing, bound off and sewed up the seam with a mattress stitch.  Done.  It could also be knit in the round on a set of double-pointeds, but I didn't feel like it. For more ideas you can head over to Ravelry and do a search for "coffee cup cozy" or "coffee cup sleeve."  You will find endless ideas and free patterns...

These work well, too if you like to drink your coffee from a pint-jar...

And it's always nice to have a second one lying around in case a friend drops by for tea...

8 comments:

  1. Your sleeves/cozies turned out lovely! I'm much too lazy to knit a ribbed one. How sad is that? Right now I'm using one of my mason jar cozy failures (that I had to felt to make fit) and a lopped off longie leg (that I also felted) for my coffee and water jars. I have to say that yours are much more attractive. (:

    Also - free coffee with bean purchase? How lucky are you?! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stop smiling at the sweetness of these handmade goodies. So special! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! I love them. I may have to give them a try after I finish my knitting for my knitted farm swap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are clever AND darling. I just love all of your creations. Lovely stuff, Bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would love one of these for a mason jar. so cool. i do not knit - maybe i could sew up a bit of an old sweater....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I that would work very well! You could use the sleeve of an old sweater -- felt the sweater by washing it in warm soapy water (and maybe a few minutes in the tumble dryer) then cut off a bit of sleeve... Viola! Coffee cup cosy! I wanted to make one this way but didn't have an old sweater I was ready to sacrafice.

      Delete
  6. Very nice... being lazy, I'd use the sleeve of a thrifted sweater LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't knit, but might try crochet something similar...though I've just read the sweater option above and love that too, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)